Try this wonderful gift idea, courtesy of Rachel from All Homemade Cookies
Ingredients to layer in the jar:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
Mix 2 cups of the flour with the baking soda and baking powder. Then mix the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour with the spices.
In a one-quart, wide-mouth canning jar. Layer the ingredients starting with the flour baking powder mixture then the brown sugar and finally the flour and spice mixture. Use the bottom of a small clean juice glass and press each layer firmly in place.
Store in a cool dry place away from a heat source so condensation and clumping does not occur.
If you are giving this as a gift, write the following instructions on a card and attach to the jar:
1. Empty contents of jar into a large mixing bowl. Blend together well.
2. Add 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine, 3/4 cup molasses and 1 slightly beaten egg. Mix until completely blended. Dough will be very stiff so you may need to use your hands. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Decorate as desired.
About All Homemade Cookies:
All Homemade Cookies provides dozens of fun and easy recipes from all over the world. If you’re looking for something new and delicious or need some easy recipes for that school bake sale, try some of our fun recipes!